How Bed Bug Infestations Start In Jacksonville Homes
January 14, 2021
The words bed bugs will make anyone’s skin crawl. The idea that a tiny pest can take over your home is more than a little unsettling. Bed bugs can go undetected for days, allowing them to rapidly reproduce in and on your belongings. The best way to combat a bed bug infestation is to understand how one starts and how you can protect your home.
Where Do Bed Bugs Happen?
It is a common misconception that bed bugs only happen in dirty homes. Much like lice, bed bugs can happen to anyone, any home or business. The name bed bugs can be misleading as an infestation is not limited to mattresses or items in the bedroom. Not only can bed bugs travel between rooms in your home, but they can also move between different units in apartments and hotels. Unfortunately, this means you can take precautions to protect your space, but still face a bed bug infestation if your neighbors are not as careful.
How Do Bed Bugs Happen?
Although a bed bug infestation is not entirely preventable, there are steps you can take to lower the risk of a possible infestation.
- Check second-hand items, such as used furniture, before bringing items into your home or even your car. This includes appliances, not just upholstered items.
- Like used furniture, used bags and clothing are another entry source into your home for bed bugs. Used items are the easiest way for bed bugs to get into your home because they can hide in small crevices and fabric folds. Make sure you thoroughly inspect any items you are bringing into your space before doing so.
- Another way bed bugs can come into your home is by hitching a ride on your belongings. When you visit a hotel, you should always use a luggage rack, rather than putting your belongings on the floor. The same goes for when you return home. It is best to keep your luggage or bags off the bed and floor until they have been properly inspected and cleaned.
Bed Bug Hotspots
As previously said, the best way to combat bed bugs in a hotel room is to place your luggage on a luggage rack. However, you should always inspect the luggage rack before using it because it can be a bed bug hotspot. Another bed bug hotspot is dirty clothes. It is best to keep your laundry contained rather than on the floor or near your clean clothes. If you use a public or shared laundry room, you should inspect machines for bed bugs before using them. When you visit a movie theater or use public transport such as trains, buses, and airplanes, you should be mindful where you place your bag, jacket, and other belongings. High traffic areas are hotspots for bed bugs.
How To Look For Bed Bugs
When inspecting second-hand items for bed bugs, you should take the following steps:
- Search seams of items such as couches and chairs and look in between cushions
- Check in the folds of fabric
- Don’t oversee items that don’t contain fabric or upholstery; check in corners and crevices of appliances and furniture
Bed Bug Control
No matter how careful you are, you may face a bed bug infestation. If you have an infestation in your Jacksonville home, the best thing you can do is contact the Havard Pest Control professionals. Havard Pest Control uses the most technologically advanced techniques and methods to rid homes and businesses of bed bugs. Don’t let bed bugs take over your life, contact the professionals at Havard Pest Control today!