Why Do I Have Ants In My Jacksonville, AL Home?
September 3, 2021
There are many different species of ants you might encounter in Jacksonville. Most of these species are considered nuisance pests, but some can be dangerous. Either way, no ants are a welcome sight in any home.
A few common ant species in the area are:
Carpenter Ants are among the most common home-invading species and can chew through wood to tunnels and nests. They are usually black with reddish or yellowish markings.
Fire Ants are small and reddish-brown. They are an aggressive species that will swarm if threatened.
Pharaoh Ants are pale yellow to light brown and are a small species. They live in large colonies and are difficult to control because members will migrate and establish new colonies.
Argentine Ants live in large colonies and are shiny black and brown. Their presence can be a sign of a moisture issue on your property.
Pavement Ants are found nesting in cracks in pavement and cement. They are brown to black and will move inside homes and other buildings during periods of harsh weather.
As a Jacksonville homeowner, you should know about this pest because of how common ants are and the range of problems they can bring.
Why And How Do Ants Get Into A Home
If you want to keep ants out of your Jacksonville home, you need to know what attracts them and how they are getting in. Like other pests, ants will try and get into a home for food, water, and shelter. And also, like other pests, ants will get in where there is easy access.
What attracts ants is:
- Open food containers
- Food left out overnight, including pet food
- Crumbs left on countertops and floors
- Dirty dishes and garbage left sitting too long
- Leaking pipes and faucets
- Other moisture issues
How ants get in:
- Gaps in the foundation
- Through open doors and windows
- Underneath flooring
- Through cracks in walls and open spaces around door and window frames
Now that you know the why and how ants get in, you should know what you can do to try and prevent them.
Why It’s Difficult To Prevent Ants
Because of their tiny size, ants can prove challenging to prevent. However, there are several things you can do to try and keep them from getting inside your home. Here are some prevention tips:
- Store food in air-tight containers, including pet food
- Take the garbage out regularly and clean both indoor and outdoor bins when needed
- Sweep and clean countertops
- Clean out the fridge, cabinets, and under heavy appliances when necessary
- Fix any leaking pipes or faucets and repair any water-damaged items
- Address other moisture issues in your home and make sure you have humidity barriers in place
- Seal foundation gaps
- Fix cracks in walls and flooring
- Make sure to keep doors and windows closed when possible
If you have implemented the tips above but are still having difficulty keeping ants out, you should consider calling professionals for help.
Why It’s Best To Call Professionals
The best way to deal with an ant infestation in your Jacksonville home is to call in the professionals from Havard Pest Control. Experts can identify the species, find out how they are getting in, and what is attracting them. They can also remove the ants at every life stage to keep the infestation from happening again.
We offer four different home protection programs to meet all needs and budgets of our clients. Don’t wait; contact us today to learn more about our offerings and how our team of trained technicians can help you.