The Key To Protecting Your Alabama Home From Termites
November 30, 2022
Termites are a common problem for homeowners in Alabama. These tiny insects can cause a lot of damage to your home and can be challenging to get rid of. Termites can damage your home if you don't get rid of them promptly, and you should prevent them from returning in the future.
You should have your home regularly inspected by an Alabama pest control company if you want to protect it from termites. Pest control companies in Alabama have the experience and expertise to eliminate termites and keep them from coming back.
About The Termite Caste System
Subterranean termites and Formosan termites are both common in Alabama. Termite colonies are organized into three separate groups, or castes. These castes are workers, soldiers, and reproductives. Workers do the grunt work for the colony, tunneling through wood and moving materials. Soldiers defend the colony from other insects using their powerful mandibles. Reproductives include the queen and king, plus other winged termites called alates. Alates scout out locations for new colonies, where they will eventually mate, shed their wings, and become kings and queens themselves.
Why Do Termites Infest And Destroy Wooden Structures?
Termites infest and destroy wooden structures because they need wood for food. Earth's most abundant organic compound is cellulose. Plants, trees, and grass all contain cellulose in their cell walls. While termites eat wood, they're really after the cellulose that makes up that wood.
When termites infest a home, they tunnel through the wood, weakening the structure. If left untreated, termites can cause a lot of damage to your home. You should regularly inspect your home for signs of termites and schedule annual inspections with a pest control company.
How To Remove Factors That Attract Termites To Your Home
You can do a few things to remove factors that attract termites to your home.
- Make sure that there is no wood in contact with the ground: You should remove any dead trees or stumps from your property.
- Repair any leaks in your home: Moisture attracts termites, so leaks will draw them in.
- Keep your gutters clean and free of debris: Wet zones and debris create ideal breeding grounds for termites, so keep these areas clear and clean.
- Regularly inspect your home for any cracks or openings that could be potential termite entry points: Check the foundation, ground joints, and around utility pipes for cracks or openings that could provide access to termites. You should focus on the ground underneath your home, where termite nests are most likely to be found.
- Seal any cracks you find with caulk or another sealant: Cracks, crevices, and joints allow termites to enter your home. Termites can enter those areas if they lack a seal. A fresh coat of paint can seal small crevices in wood and wood shingles. Your home also stays dry from moisture by sealing.
Addressing the factors that attract termites can go a long way toward protecting your home from these pests. However, termite treatment from a professional pest control company is the best way to safeguard your home.
The Most Effective Termite Control For Your Home
The most effective termite control for your home is having a pest control company inspect and treat your home regularly. Havard Pest Control has the experience and expertise to eliminate termites and keep them from coming back. Contact us today to schedule a termite inspection.