Wasps In Birmingham: A Comprehensive Guide To Wasp Removal And Prevention
July 10, 2023
Few things leave you wanting to retreat indoors as quickly as wasps will. These stinging insects can seemingly come out of nowhere only to interrupt your outdoor time and put your loved ones’ health and well-being at risk with just a single sting.
Your trusted Birmingham pest control team wants to help you deal with wasps once and for all. Here’s what you need to know to decide if you have a wasp problem in your yard and what you can do to prevent them from nesting in the first place.
Distinctive Wasp Characteristics: How To Identify Wasps
Wasps may sting like other flying insects, but they look completely different from other types of pollinators. Here are a few characteristics to look for when trying to decide if you have a wasp problem or a different type of infestation:
- The shape of their body: Unlike other stinging pollinators, wasps have three distinct body sections; the head, the thorax, and the abdomen. Their bodies are also narrower and longer than other pollinators.
- The shape of their wings: Wasps tend to have narrower, more angular wings than other pollinators. Their wings rest alongside their bodies when not in use.
- Distinct colors: Different types of wasps have different markings and colorations, ranging from solid black to black with yellow stripes. These markings make them unique compared to other pollinators.
- The ability to sting more than once: Unlike other pollinators, wasps can sting more than once and won’t die after a single sting.
These are just a few of the most common characteristics of wasps. Your wasp control team will be better able to tell you if you have a wasp problem on your property or if you’re dealing with a different type of stinging insect.
Health Risks Of Wasp Infestations: Allergies And Other Concerns
Luckily, wasps can’t spread diseases, viruses, or bacteria, but that doesn’t mean they’re harmless. Their stings pack a serious punch. For most people, wasp stings will lead to swelling, pain at the site, and itchiness as the wound heals. Most stings will heal on their own and cause nothing but moderate discomfort. However, if people are allergic to wasp stings, they can experience anaphylactic shock and require immediate medical attention.
One of the other risks that routine wasp control in Birmingham can help prevent is stings from more than one wasp at a time. The sudden exposure to wasp venom in quantity can cause allergic reactions even in people who haven’t had an allergy in the past.
Strategies For Wasp Prevention: Effective Tips And Tricks
The best way to keep wasps from becoming a dangerous problem is to stay on top of wasp and pest control efforts on your property. Here are a few effective and proven strategies to help keep your property safe:
- Keep all garbage cans and compost piles covered with tight-fitting lids at all times.
- Clean your grill, smoker, and other outdoor cooking gear immediately after use.
- Fill in any holes or cracks in your home’s siding as soon as you notice them.
- Schedule professional nest removal appointments anytime you identify a nest on your property.
Keep these wasp prevention tips in mind, and you’ll be able to reduce the number of wasps around your home.
Safe and Effective Wasp Removal: Contact Us Right Away!
The best way to get rid of wasps in Birmingham is to work with an experienced pest control team. At Havard Pest Control, we specialize in helping homeowners deal with the most common types of wasps and will develop a treatment plan to make your yard as safe as possible. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.