How To Protect Your Mobile Property From Mosquitoes
August 27, 2021
Nobody likes walking in after spending a few hours outside to find themselves littered in mosquito bites, but for residents of Mobile, Alabama, this is all too common. As itchy and irritating as mosquito bites might be to deal with, it’s important to remember that these bugs are dangerous too.
Mosquitoes can carry mosquito-borne diseases with them – like Zika virus, West Nile virus, dengue fever, or even malaria, which can have detrimental health effects on anyone they bite.
For the residents of Mobile, Alabama, here’s what you need to know about how to stop attracting mosquitoes to your property, the best way you can reduce mosquito activity, and even ways to prevent mosquito bites when you’re out and about.
What Attracts Mosquitoes To Your Mobile, Alabama Property?
Mosquitoes may seem like they find you wherever you go, but the presence of these pests on your property isn’t always random. Some factors may attract them, such as:
- An overgrown lawn, shrubs, or foliage – this provides mosquitoes plenty of shade from the midday Alabama sun.
- Plenty of standing water – everything from decorative ponds to flooding gutters and yard debris collecting rainwater can become a breeding ground for mosquitoes.
- Flowering gardens and plants – both male and female mosquitoes feed off nectar, so flowering plants may attract them to your garden and yard.
By cutting your lawn and regularly trimming hedges, dealing with drainage issues or other types of standing water, and being careful about where you place your garden, you may be able to significantly reduce mosquito activity on your property.
How To Effectively Control Mosquitoes On Your Mobile, Alabama Property
While removing standing water features and taking care of your lawn may make a difference in mosquito activity, it’s not always enough to win the war against these pests. If you’re still dealing with too much mosquito activity, it may be time to call in the professionals like those of us at Havard Pest Control.
Our treatment plan centers around dealing with existing mosquito problems and preventing future ones – if you’re worried about mosquito activity levels around your Mobile, Alabama property, call us at Havard Pest Control today to find out how we can help.
How To Prevent Mosquito Bites In Mobile, Alabama
Whether you’re at home or out and about, there are certain steps you can take to prevent mosquitoes from targeting you, including:
- Wear light-colored clothing that blends in with your surroundings and avoid dark colors that may stand out against the horizon.
- Limit how much time you spend outside during hours when mosquitoes are really active, like dusk and dawn.
- Cover up exposed skin by wearing long sleeves, pants, and jackets outside.
- Avoid using smelly or scented perfumes that may attract mosquitoes to you.
- Make sure you use an insect repellant if you plan to stay outside for longer periods of time, and preferably a repellent that has at least 25% DEET.
- Try to avoid areas where mosquitoes may be congregating as much as possible, like areas with tall grass, gardens full of flowers, or areas near standing water features.
The above tips can do a lot to prevent mosquito bites regardless of where you are, but the most effective form of mosquito control for your property is still a professional one. For help keeping mosquitoes off of your Mobile property, call Havard Pest Control today.