How To Get Rid Of Roaches: A Comprehensive Guide For Covington Homeowners
August 14, 2023
Finding massive cockroaches in your house can be alarming at best. These insects can make your home feel dirty and leave your skin crawling when all you want to do is relax. With help from a Covington pest control specialist, you’ll be able to deal with an infestation in no time. In the meantime, you should know what to expect from these infestations. Here are some facts about cockroaches.
Types Of Cockroaches: Identifying Common Species
In Covington, there are several common types of cockroaches. These include the American cockroach, the German cockroach, the smoky brown cockroach, and the brown-banded cockroach. Here’s how to tell them apart:
- Their size: American cockroaches are the biggest and can grow up to 2 1/8 inches long. Brown-banded and German cockroaches grow between 1/2 and 5/8 of an inch. Smokybrown roaches grow between 1 1/4 and 1 1/2 inches long.
- Their appearance: American roaches are reddish-brown. Brown-banded are brown with two light brown bands. German cockroaches are light brown to tan. Smokybrown roaches are dark brown to black.
- Their shape: American roaches and German roaches are oval-shaped. Brown-banded are oval-shaped with clear bands on the back. Smoky brown cockroaches have wings that are longer than their bodies.
Though spotting any signs of cockroaches in your home can cause alarm, properly identifying the species can help you better prepare for your roach pest control appointment.
Health Risks And Property Damage: The Hazards Of Cockroaches
Cockroaches in Covington don’t just make your home feel dirty; they can lead to serious health problems. Roaches are known to spread bacteria and other pathogens as they move about your house. Most species can spread illnesses like the following:
- Typhoid fever
- E. coli
These diseases are treatable but can leave you feeling very ill while you recover. Even if the roaches you’re dealing with don’t spread bacteria and pathogens, their saliva, droppings, and urine can cause allergic reactions and even spark asthma attacks in individuals with upper respiratory conditions.
Professional Cockroach Extermination: When To Call The Experts
Though there are many DIY extermination options on the market, they’re never as effective or long-lasting as professional home pest control appointments.
So, how can you tell if it’s time to schedule a professional appointment? It depends on your comfort level and the extent of the infestation in your home. If you’ve only seen one or two roaches outside your house, you may be fine waiting until your next routine pest control appointment. However, if you’ve noticed several cockroaches inside your home, scheduling a professional roach control appointment is a good idea.
Professionals know the best way to kill cockroaches and can deal with the problem whether you have just a few roaches inside or are amid a full infestation.
Preventing Cockroach Infestations: Tips For A Roach-Free Home
Though professional treatments are always the best way to deal with active roach infestations, there are a few things you can do to reduce your risk of future infestations and keep your home roach-free longer. Here are a few simple tips to help:
- Seal any cracks and crevices around your home to remove easy access points.
- Fix any leaks or causes of excess moisture in your house as soon as you can.
- Pick up food spills and throw away waste in a dedicated trash can with a tight lid.
- Store your food in airtight containers.
- Keep your home clean and tidy to reduce potential nesting locations.
If you keep these tips in mind, you’ll set your home up for success. But if you’re worried about roaches already in your house or just want to schedule a professional treatment to keep them outside where they belong, don’t wait. Contact Havard Pest Control today.